The purpose of this Higher Certificate in Business Management is to familiarise students with the fundamental principles and practices of business management which will allow students to build a solid foundation on the theories within business management and its application into a 21st century organisational working environment.
The exit level outcomes of this programme have been carefully designed and focused on the core theoretical foundations that underpin businesses within the context of South Africa but also the role of technology in the business environment. This Higher Certificate is further supported by the Graduate Attributes which are imbedded into the curriculum to develop students in becoming well-rounded ethical and professional business practitioners, adopting a transformative and responsible leader through which their active participation within local communities brings change for the better.
Students can work in a wide range of business areas such as:
Students may pursue further studies in Business Management at an accredited institution of Higher Education. Admission to further your studies at a different institution remains the prerogative of each institution and its academic council.
ARTICULATION: Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) processes and Credit Accumulation and Transfer (CAT) are articulation mechanisms. The institution reserves the right to conduct a formal assessment for purposes of CAT. An evaluation will be conducted to recognise prior learning. This evaluation may or may not be based on a form of formal assessment and can include a portfolio of evidence submission. These mechanisms are in line with the HEQSF as envisaged in the NQF Act 67 of 2008 and the CHE “Policies on the Recognition of Prior Learning, Credit Accumulation and Transfer, and Assessment in Higher Education” published by the CHE in August 2016.
- A National Senior Certificate (NSC) with Higher Certificate endorsement, or
- A National Certificate Vocational (NCV) at NQF Level 4 with Higher Certificate endorsement, or
- Amended Senior Certificate (ASC), with Higher Certificate endorsement, or
- A Senior Certificate (SC), with Higher Certificate endorsement, or
- Foreign School leaving Certificate that complies with minimum admission requirements for Higher Certificate study as gazetted by the Matriculation Board (The Matriculation Board will do equivalency evaluation)
Alternative admission requirements
- Senate discretionary admission
- Mature Age (45 years of age and above): conditions apply
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
- Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy and English at NQF level 4 or equivalent
- Foreign applicants whose first language is not English, may be required to provide proof of proficiency in English prior to admission to the programme.